Put a Stop to Wintertime House Fires | SERVPRO® of Southeast Waukesha County/West Franklin
Put a Stop to Wintertime House Fires | SERVPRO® of Southeast Waukesha County/West Franklin - SERVPRO OF SE WAUKESHA COUNTY/WEST FRANKLIN Blog
No matter what the season is, fire safety is an important focus. However, as we approach the winter season, it is something that should be put in even more focus. Winter house fires are common according to the Red Cross, and many traditional winter and holiday activities are easily conducive to an accidental fire starting.
With more people utilizing their kitchen, it is no surprise that kitchen accidents are the top cause of house fires both in winter and during the rest of the year, but there are also heating and electrical accidents to contend with, too. Fortunately, with the following tips you can still celebrate your holidays safely.
Celebrate the Holidays Without House Fires
Keep safe when cooking. Getting together for large meals or enjoying baked goods as a family is quintessential to winter, but it can also mean more cooking and baking incidents have the chance to occur. Whenever you are in the kitchen, practice safety by being cautious about what is near the stove that could be flammable and always have a fire extinguisher within reach in case things get out of hand.
Heat the house with proper precautions. When there is a chill in the air, most of us like to supplement our central heating systems with space heaters or fireplaces, but these can present hazards if you are not careful. For space heaters, be sure you are using a current model with built in safety features to avoid issues with overheating or tipping. For fireplaces, always get your chimney inspected before your first fire of the season and never leave on burning unattended.
Decorate with care. Holiday lights and other decorations are fun and festive, but as they sit in storage for the rest of the year, they can develop problems. Around 25% of Christmas tree fires are due to lights, often because of fraying that develops when they are stored. Additionally, fires can start if too many decorations are plugged into a single power strip or if they are left to burn overnight or when otherwise unattended.
If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Get in touch today.